Two of the most respected labels in dance music, Defected Records and Get Physical, have joined forces on a pioneering new mix album as well as a series of live events taking place in London, Ibiza and Berlin this Autumn.
Defected and Get Physical are giants in the world of electronic music. As two of the longest-standing and most celebrated labels they set the standard by which other record companies are measured, their respective catalogues including countless seminal, genre-defining records, while their parties are regularly cited as setting house music standards worldwide.
Defected Gets Physical Mixed by DJ T. and Luke Solomon sees their respective catalogues explored and exhibited as never before, while a trio of live events in London, Berlin and Ibiza – undoubtedly the three electronic epicentres of Europe – involving DJ T., Luke Solomon, M.A.N.D.Y, Paolo Rocco, Eddie Fowlkes, Juan Maclean, Jesse Rose and Simon Dunmore proudly celebrate a collaborative mind-set synonymous with its original spirit of house music.
Switching things up for a unique approach to the tried-and-tested mix format, on Defected Gets Physical Mixed by DJ T. and Luke Solomon, Get Physical co-founder DJ T. compiles and mixes his side from Defected’s vaults, while Classic Music Company and Defected A&R Luke Solomon gets to grips with Get Physical’s vast collection.
The records included span the histories of both labels, with tracks and remixes from a who’s who of electronic excellence including Matthew Dear, Jimmy Edgar, Maya Jane Coles, Guti, Dennis Ferrer, KiNK, Osunlade, Catz ‘N Dogz and many more.
In addition to selecting and mixing their respective sides, both DJ T. and Luke Solomon have contributed a number of exclusive re-edits, which are included unmixed on CD3.
“One of the most impressive achievements of Defected is how they have managed to stay relevant on the more commercial side of classic, deep and vocal house while maintaining respect from the underground” says DJ T. “With my choice of tracks I wanted to show the modern, more underground face, mainly with music that has been released in the last five years.”
“I loved the disco influence that DJ T. absorbed and the way that was translated into house via Get Physical, retaining the funk but adding freshness” says Luke. “They were also pivotal in introducing a lot of artists: Lopazz, Booka Shade, Ricardo Villalobos, Luciano… and the timing for them was perfect: it grabbed my attention.”
“A lot of the tracks I used were things that have been in and out of my record box for years.
It was great to be able to re-edit and re-adjust, and give them a new lease of life.”
Then, taking the collaborative spirit of the album on the road, the Defected Get Physical Tour takes place over two weekends this September, with parties at Fire, London (12th), Amnesia, Ibiza (15th) and Chalet, Berlin (19th).
With over 15 years’ experience in championing the very finest artists and music from around the globe, Defected Records’ place in house history is already assured. The recipe for success has been simple and effective; a good helping of adaptability and sprinklings of young talent together with a slice of established names, coupled with a firm belief in the quality of music and artists they represent.
Founded just three years after Defected in 2002 by DJ. T and M.A.N.D.Y, Get Physical fast became one of the most reputable and reliable dance labels on the international club scene. Having released music by a staggeringly impressive roster of artists, the label now sits proudly atop electronic music authority Resident Advisor’s all-time most charted labels, a position it doesn’t look like giving up any time soon.
Defected Gets Physical Mixed by DJ T. and Luke Solomon is out 28 August 2015 (3CD and digital) on Defected Records
CD1: Defected Records – Compiled & mixed by DJ T.
01. Paolo Rocco ‘Move Body, Move Forward’
02. 4th Measure Men ‘4 You’ (Maya Jane Coles Remix)
03. FCL ‘It’s You’ (MK Mix)
04. Guti ‘Hope’ (Fosky Remix)
05. Eddie Fowlkes ‘That’s What I Think About’
06. Intruder (A Murk Production) featuring Jei ‘Amame’ (DJ T.’s Dub Edit)
07. Dennis Ferrer featuring Janelle Kroll ‘Mind Ur Step’ (DF Dub)
08. Stuffa featuring David A Tobin ‘Proof’ (FCL Remix) (DJ T. Edit)
09. NiCe7 ‘Bassline Soldiers’ (Sable Sheep Remix)
10. Hector Couto ‘Lady Ragga’
MD X-Spress ‘God Made Me Phunky’ (Accapella)
11. Pirupa ‘Party Non Stop’ (DJ T.’s Jack Edit)
12. Rachel Row ‘Follow The Step’ (Breach Hood Remix)
13. Gel Abril ‘Spells of Yoruba’ (Shlomi Aber’s Chicago Delight Mix)
14. Rachel Row ‘Follow The Step’ (KiNK Beat Mix)
15. Osunlade ‘Envision’ (Yoruba Soul Mix)
CD2: Get Physical – Compiled & mixed by Luke Solomon
01. DJ T. ‘Class Of 1984’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
02. Lopazz ‘Take Me Home’
03. DJ T. ‘Philly’
04. Kris Wadsworth ‘It’s Time’ (Jimmy Edgar Remix)
05. Catz ‘N Dogz ‘Gotta Know’
06. Matthew Dear ‘Free To Ask’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
07. Renato Ratier ‘Out There’ (Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts Remix)
08. Sunsetpeople ‘Mifune’ (Martin Landsky Remix)
09. Elbee Bad ‘Just Don’t Stop The Dance’ (Slok RMX)
10. Italoboyz vs Nôze ‘Double Trouble’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
11. Riton feat. The Uber Audio Bros ‘Walk On Water’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
12. Martinez ‘Mind Games’
13. Chelonis R. Jones ‘Middle Finger Music’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
14. DJ T. ‘Bite’
15. Italoboyz ‘Downtown’
16. Snax & Ianeq ‘It Ain’t Love’
CD3: Unmixed Re-Edits
01. Pirupa ‘Party Non Stop’ (DJ T.’s Jack Edit)
02. Stuffa featuring David A Tobin ‘Proof’ (FCL Remix) (DJ T. Edit)
03. Intruder (A Murk Production) featuring Jei ‘Amame’ (DJ T.’s Dub Edit)
04. DJ T. ‘Class Of 1984’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
05. Matthew Dear ‘Free To Ask’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
06. Italoboyz vs Nôze ‘Double Trouble’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
07. Riton feat. The Uber Audio Bros ‘Walk On Water’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)
08. Chelonis R. Jones ‘Middle Finger Music’ (Luke Solomon Body Edit)